Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 12, 2013



 
 
Hello Everyone, (especially my one and only Mom!)

Training is going well! My companion's name is Elder Wright, he is from Monticello, Utah, he is 18, pretty fresh out of High School, and a really really good missionary. His spanish is pretty good for being brand new, he took 2 years in high school. He is really good at asking people good questions during lessons or while fearlessing them.

Here's the letter I sent to President Calderwood.

Dear President Calderwood,
I have really enjoyed this week with Elder Wright. I can't imagine a better prepared missionary. His Spanish is good, his testimony is fantastic, even when given in Spanish, his desire and faith are great. I have learned a lot from him. As a brand new missionary he is meek, and I want to develop that humility and gentleness. I have felt more power come to me as I must take a higher role in fearlessing, while at the same time trying to hold back and realize what you said, that God won't let a new missionaries inexperience teaching or speaking interfere with the progression of someone who is truly pure in heart.
One thing that I love about Elder Wright is his ability to ask questions. As we role play, he asks questions that lead the investigator directly to the purpose of the lesson and its significance for them. He is really a breath of new life, reminding me of things that I have learned in training and the MTC, but forgotten in the field. Together we have learned some great principles in our companion study. I have also received revelation that will help me recognize the feelings of the investigators. As I role play someone receiving a lesson, I have questions come to my mind that I actually want Elder Wright to teach me, even though I have known the answers for a long time. Yesterday, in Sacrament meeting, I recognized a little bit how investigators must feel as we invite them to church. It puts more responsability in our hands now as I've realized how uncomfortable or nervous I would feel, going to a new church where the building, teachings, and people are all different than I am used to. I probably wouldn't go to church, either.
I feel that we are being led to the pure in heart as well. We have met a few people that show better potential or interest than almost any potential investigators that I have seen before. Elder Wright has increased my faith, and with this more faith in our companionship, I sense an increase of power in the work happening to.
I have also been trying to serve Elder Wright in a substantial way every day, and it's hard, but it's working. I'm not perfect at it, but it makes me a harder worker when I would usually relax.

Thank you so much for receiving revelation to put us together. This is going to be a great companionship. I am very grateful to serve with the wonderful people in Flushing. I have developed a lot.
Love,
Elder Schenk

One other cool thing that Elder Wright and I are doing is speaking in spanish together almost always. So this has made my spanish really sharpen, even though I'm already fluent! my spanish is much better than it was a week ago.

We do have the ensign so I will try to read it. Usually Elder Nisguritzer uses it, but we'll see what happens now. The Stakewide party went fairly well, but not many flushing members showed up. But there were a lot of missionaries there so it was pretty fun. And we played soccer missionaries vs members. We got thrashed, but I was one of the better players there, at least amongst the missionaries.

I realize that I have a lot of things that have set me up for success among hispanic people. I play soccer, I'm good at Spanish, I already know how to Latin Dance, and I like Taco Bell and Taco Del Mar (even though those restaurants really don't prepare you at all.)

Love you all!
Elder Schenk

(I posted a 3-generation mission picture and a couple others on Dropbox, and I felt that it was only appropriate that I wear my posterity tie to the transfer meeting where Elder Rose finished and Elder Wright started)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment