Monday, July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013

Hi Mom, Dad, and Everyone
 
Today we are heading out early because we are going to Coney Island. So we got up early to do laundry and studies and now we are emailing early!
Last week we got lots of good pictures on Preparation day, so I put those on Drop box.







 
The work has been good. The weather has been pretty hot, but bearable. I feel like the work goes between a lot of good progress to not very visible progress about every week or two. This week I didn't see a lot of progress, but I felt very effective. Elder Nisguritzer and I worked hard and we are getting along really well, and everything in that sense is improving. My abilities in speaking, fearlessing, and teaching are developing. The only struggle now is getting other people to develop. I would say it's a pretty tricky task.
This saturday we have a stake wide party in Flushing Meadows Park (a huge park in our zone) for all the hispanics in Queens. I hope a lot come, but I'm not sure how well the word got out. I guess we will see.
 
This is from my letter to President Calderwood.

Missionary work is interesting. There is a lot of reliance on others. I feel like a lot of my life has been very different. Other people are teaching me, encouraging me and trying to get me to develop, and it then depends on my performance. But here the tables are turned, and I get a taste of maybe how the rest of life really is.
This week I also learned a great lesson on unity and openness with my companion. In companion inventory, I thought about bringing up something, but I wasn't sure if I should just not worry about it and be "patient" about it, or bring it up. So I brought it up, and it led to Elder Nisguritzer telling me a few things that I needed to work on. I more or less already recognized these things in myself, but this brought it to the front of my attention and gave me a better opportunity to address it and make a change in myself. As I did this, I felt much better as a missionary, and especially as a compnaion for Elder Nisguritzer. I have started to develop a skill of better time management that will make me a better companion now, and all throughout my mission, and I'm sure it will make me a better man, husband, and father. I'm extremely greatful that we were open with each other, and had the love and trust to really speak our minds. Being open is so much better than just trying to ignore something. It has helped me feel much more effective and successfull as a missionary.
Thanks so much for my branch, area, and especially my companion.
Elder Schenk
 
We are about to head out. I'll make sure I take lots of great pictures of Coney Island, and I'm also going to try to get some from the other missionaries in my district of things we've done in the past.
We've been having a lot of adventurous preparation days recently, and I think part of it is that my district leader is going home in two weeks, so we're trying to do lot's of fun things before he's gone, and because there are a lot of cheap things like hats, sunglasses, and watches that you can buy and we've been looking for specific things that we've heard about in different places of new york. We haven't found any of them yet.
 
Love you all! thanks for the support! take care and I'll see you in a year and a half or so!
 
I'm already that far into my mission. 5 months yesterday.
 
Love you!
 
Elder Schenk

No comments:

Post a Comment